Newborn life is full of snuggles, dirty diapers and “oos” and “ahhs,” but the thing that’s most important is feeding your newborn. Whether you’re nursing or bottle feeding, getting your little one all the food/calories he or she needs is definitely all consuming. I’m no expert in nursing (more to come on that in another post), but I do know what new mom nursing essentials I’ve been relying/living in on since we brought Poppy home.
MY NURSING ESSENTIALS
- Nursing Bras: Prior to nursing, I never wore bralettes, or anything without an underwire. I am large chested, so I like the support, but now I find the non-underwire are more comfortable for lounging, so I sleep/wear those around the house and then use my underwire favorites when we venture out for the added support. I would recommend 3-4 to start (I have two nude and two black (one underwire in each, one more comfy style).
- Lactation Cookies: Okay, maybe these work, maybe they don’t…but as a nursing mom, you do anything to make sure that supply keeps up. In fact, I actually think these are pretty tasty. We’ve also had some friends bring us homemade ones! I’m also taking these.
- Nursing Camis: Just like nursing bras, you need a few great camis. I also really like this brand.
- Entertainment: Whether a great book or TV show, you’re going to need something to keep you occupied. I just started watching Gossip Girl and it’s been a great chance to practice my sodoku skills on my iphone.
- Nursing Cover: If you want to nurse without a cover in public, go for it! You do you girlfriend! I just prefer a cover. I haven’t nursed in public yet, but I did use this cover when my parents were visiting and others. I also love that this one has dual uses!
- Bottles: We love these because of the natural feel, but any bottle you choose will work, do what’s best for you and baby! If you’re formula or pumping and feeding, you need a few of these in your stash!
- Camis: I love that I can throw on a nursing tank and use the cami as a cover alternative. Plus, even though I’m mostly in sweats, I feel a little put together when I’m wearing something that resembles actual clothing!
- Water Bottle: It’s SO important to stay hydrated while nursing (and fed!). My LC suggested I always keep a water bottle in her diaper bag, and one near me at all times. If its cute, it’s even better!
- Nipple creams, butters, soothies…all of it. Trust me, whatever works for you. These are my fav! I put them in the fridge before use.
- Boppy: We also use this fabulous invention for nursing, tummy time and just a “propper-up!” <— official language 🙂
There are so many other things we have, but these nursing essentials are my go-tos for what’s helping me stay focused on the tasks at hand. I will say this, nursing it NOT for the faint of heart and however you feed your little one, just remember, fed is best.
Have a great day! We got a ton of snow in Durham yesterday, so I’m hoping for some puppy snow time!